Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', BMW Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

My battery cable is disconnected and the tailgate..owners manual

I have a 2002 Mini my battery cable is disconnected and the tailgate is closed. How do I manually open the tailgate? I read the owners manual and it gives instructions, but I cannot find the release ring referred to.

Here is MINI location:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The cable shown in the drawing is not there. I removed the bench seat and there is no sign of the cable.Any other ideas?
It is a short cable at the rear hatch/tailgate on the hatch/tailgate. Should be under a small opening/panel on the hatch/tailgate
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I looked at the rear hatch tailgate and cannot find any opening. All I can see is the normal latch which requires power and two lights. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will have to leave this computer in a few minutes and will return in about 3 hours. You have been very responsive and I want to get this answered and authorize payment. I will reconnect a little later if I have to leave. How do I get back to you?
Sorry.....I am trying to do this from memory, as I have not used the pull latch, just remeber seeing it when working on them. Cooper doesn't supply to much info on locations & have tried finding a better picture.
After looking at diagram, it appears to be on the body part, near center, just behiond seat
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I never did find the latch. However, I was able to lower the rear seat and access the battery and replace the battery cable allowing the electric latch to open the tailgate.Therefore I am accepting the help.
Very sorry my Info didn't lead you to it..........
Thank You very much.
Thanks for using J/A