philhbmw, bmw tech
Experience:  ata tech, nvq3, city and guilds 3

Z4..gas gauge..the tank, then monitoring the mileage

Customer Question

My 2003 Z4's gas gauge doesn't work at all. Always shows empty. I just bought the car (used) for my wife and have been filling up the tank, then monitoring the mileage per tankful to determine when we need to fill up again. When I called a local BMW mechanic about getting it fixed, he said he thought there was a recall on this problem. Anyway, I'm currently on strike from Boeing and have little money, but lots of time. Is this something I can take care of on my own (I'm pretty handy around cars)?
Category: BMW
Expert:  philhbmw replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

Sounds like a fuel sender problem

This is located the the in tank fuel pump.

You would have to drain tank

remove the pump from the under side of tank and replace sender.

I would warn you there is no easy way to drain the fuel. Last one i did i loosend the pump so the fuel came out slowly into a large bucket.

Really messing arounrd with fuel if you do not know what you are doing is not a good idea.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you have the part number for the fuel level sender? Is it a plug in module type device?