BMW Pro.
BMW Pro., BMW Technician
Experience:  9 years main dealer experience.
9824428

2000 528i: diagnostic..Misfire..car runs fine..a rough idle (RPMs drop

Customer Question

I'm getting a P1397 error on my 2000 528i. According to my mechanic's diagnostic, this code reads "P1397 Manufacturer Controlled Ignition or Misfire". The car runs fine, occasionally I get a rough idle (RPMs drop for a second or 2, then come back up). We're not getting any indication of which cylinder has the problem.
Category: BMW
Expert:  BMW Pro. replied 8 years ago.

the code you have there is for the exhaust cam sensor and chances are it is fulting intermitantly causing your idle fluctuations. Replace the sensor, clear the code and carry out a test drive to see if it reoccurs.

The sensor can be seen here as number 5........

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DM52&mospid=47544&btnr=11_2170&hg=11&fg=15

Found here......

graphic

Rich.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rich:
I've seen some posts regarding P1397 errors, where the description is different from the one my mechanic is getting. Most of the descriptions indicate camshaft position sensors, but the description we're getting is "manufacturer controlled ignition or misfire". Would this description also indicate the camshaft position sensor problem?

If this is the same thing, I'll have my mechanic replace the cam sensor and see what happens. Please reply.

Thanks.
Adam
Expert:  BMW Pro. replied 8 years ago.

Yes, as the fault description you have there is just a generic term describing a fault in the ignition system. The cam sensors are counted in the igntion side of the engine management, hence the fault description obtained from the scanner you're using. P1397 is a generic code which only relates to an exhaust cam sensor problem, which are very common on this engine.

Rich.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. I appreciate your help.
Adam Grant