BMWTechPro
BMWTechPro, BMW Technician
Experience:  2 years experience. Level 2 Tech. BMW Step Graduate.
11482417

I have a 2003 X5 3.0. The rear passenger window slid off of

Customer Question

I have a 2003 X5 3.0. The rear passenger window slid off of its track, and now is unable to close. How do I remove the door panel so that I can realign the glass?
Category: BMW
Expert:  BMWTechPro replied 8 years ago.

I would guess that your window regulator has failed. Generally this is what happens. There is a small clip in a round hole in the glass that holds the glass to the window regulator. It is possible this clip or the regulator has failed. In order to get to the glass here is what you must do. There are a couple of screws you must first remove in order to remove the door panel. graphic You must remove the vertical trim panel. Then remove the screw behind it labeled 1. After that there are a few more screws to remove. graphic After removal of these screws the only thing holding the door panel on are just door clips. Just pull straight out on the door panel and it should come off. But be careful there are short cabels going to the door panel that must be disconnected. After that there is a foam like vapor barrier that must be peeled away carefully. Try not to tear this, it protects against water leaks. The best way to remove this is with a razor. Check for the broken clip like i mentioned here is a pic of it. graphic Also carefully inspect the guides and cables on the regulator. These regulators are common to fail and this would be a good time to replace one while you are in there. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Please leave positive feedback if you accept. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It worked, but I found that the problem was actually the wire pulley mechanism. Easy fix.

Thanks!