Jared, Service Advisor
Experience:  Level 3 Certified BMW Service Advisor

I have a 2008 bmw 528i with 9,200 miles on it. A yellow engine

I have a 2008 bmw 528i with 9,200 miles on it. A yellow engine symbol appears in the control panel for the past 4 days. The i-drives says nothing is wrong and everything is ok. The bmw assist operator advised that I may need to top off the oil level. What is going on?

That symbol is your check engine light, which means the cars computer has found a fault somewhere in the system. These mostly deal with emissions control malfunctions.

Depending on the fault, the I drive may not alert you to the exact issue. If the light isnt flashing, the vehicle is safe to drive, but needs service to repair.

One common cause of light: Did you recently fill up the gas tank? If the cap is left loose this light can trigger. Try tightening the cap and see if the light resets after a couple drives.