Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner, diagnostics, driveability tech
2947720

2002 bmw 745i: brake fluid , power steering fluid , coolant and oil

Customer Question

I need to put brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant and oil in my 2002 BMW745i myself. I know a mechanic should do this, but we are having the worst financial time ever. Can anyone help by telling me what kind of fluid and where (exactly) it goes? I'd like to keep the car alive until I can afford to have it serviced properly...
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Let me start by giving you the fluid types.

Fluid Recommendations

All vehicles covered herein use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) as the power steering fluid. Use DEXRON® III type ATF

.BMW recommends that the coolant be changed every 2 years. BMW recommends that an ethylene glycol based antifreeze coolant be used. Stay with a name brand that is compatible with aluminum and is nitrate and amino free. The coolant should be a 50/50 mix with distilled water to achieve protection to minus 35°F. (minus 31°C.). The concentration should not exceed 60% as this will actually reduce the effectiveness of the fluid as a heat transfer medium and could cause deterioration of coolant passage seals. Using distilled water instead of tap water will also help in the prevention of cooling system deposits.

All vehicles with DSC without pre charging pumps must be filled with the new DOT4 low-viscosity brake fluid!
All other models can be filled with the DOT4 or DOT4 low viscosity brake fluid.

All current models / engines from 1999 model year with extended oil change intervals of approximately 15,000 miles
BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30

EXCEPTIONS

BMW recommends the use of BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 or Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil on all models as outlined below whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage.

Model / Engine

E60 M5 / S85
From 9/2005: Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil

E63 / S85
From 3/2006: Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil

E39 M5 / S62
Up to 3/2000: Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil

Note: The M5 up to 3/00 production requires a specially formulated synthetic engine oil - Castrol Formula RS SAE 10w-60 or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 is the only oil approved for this engine. The specified oil must be used to avoid engine damage.

E39 M5 / S62
E52 Z8 / S62
From 3/2000: BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 or Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil

E46 M3 / S54 All
E36 M Roadster, M Coupe / S54
E85 M roadster, E86 M coupe / S54
Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil

Note: All M models with the S54 engine require the use of Castrol Formula RS SAE 10w-60 or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 and is the only oil approved for this engine. The specified oil must be used to avoid engine damage.

I will send pictures in the next post.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner, diagnostics, driveability tech
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This looks very helpful - if the pictures will show me exactly where to put the fluids. The car is a mystery to me under the hood. The only thing I can identify is the oil resevoir...

I appreciate your expertise. Should I hit accept to pay you for your answer and get pics of where things go?

Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

Click image to see an enlarged viewThe power steering fluid dipstick is part of the cap on the reservoir

Click image to see an enlarged viewView of the power steering and self leveling system hydraulic fluid reservoir

Click image to see an enlarged viewThe fluid level should be between the minimum and maximum level marks

The power steering fluid reservoir is located on the left side of the engine toward the front. On E36 models, it may be necessary to remove the air filter housing to access the reservoir.

Stop the engine and remove the cap/dipstick from the power steering reservoir. The dipstick is part of the reservoir cap and is removed by turning the cap counterclockwise. Wipe the filler cap from debris before removing the cap, then remove and wipe the dipstick and replace in the reservoir. Remove the cap and check the level. Check that the level is between the marks on the dipstick and add fluid as necessary. Run the engine and recheck the fluid level. With the engine not running, the fluid level may rise above the marks on the dipstick, but this is normal.

Click image to see an enlarged viewThe coolant expansion tank is translucent, which makes checking the fluid level easy Click image to see an enlarged viewThe integral coolant expansion tank is also translucent for easy level checks Click image to see an enlarged viewThe bleeder is located next to radiator cap. Check the radiator cap gaskets when removed

BMW vehicles are equipped with translucent coolant expansion tanks. There will be marks indicating "MAX" and/or "COLD" levels. There is no need to remove the fill cap from the expansion tank to check the fluid level. Do not remove the fill cap unless coolant needs to be added to the system.

Here is a diagram of the under hood, (m50) yours shoudl be similar to it.

Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

The brake fluid will go in a resivoir that looks like this one,

You might be able to see if it's full without taking the cap off, (its sort of see through) Sorry I don't have a better picture in my data base. OH..here is one

Click image to see an enlarged viewThe fluid reservoir is installed directly onto the brake master cylinder

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hmm - my car doesn't look like these pics. my coolant is on the left near # XXXXX on your pics. it is a black tank and has a yellow min/max tab inside. my oil is just to the right of that but still on the left of the engine cover/block. the dipstick for my oil is just to the right of the center near the cockpit.

I don't know where the power steering and brake fluid resevoirs are - but there are no tranparent resevoirs that i can see

Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

The brake fluid resivoir will be on the master cylinder, at fire wall, directly in front of the driver, under the hood.

The power steeirng resivoir will either look like this one

Click image to see an enlarged view

OR this one, where you would have to remove the nut on the cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok - I need to hunt down the fluids and see if I can locate the things under the hood. May I get a follow up response from you later today if I can't find these locations under my hood?
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.
Why yes, I'll be here just about all day, (and night) let me know how you do, thanks