tnick
tnick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in automotive computer systems. ASE L1 Cerfification
10646225

I have a 03 x5. the pass door lock actuator is not ...

I have a 03 x5. the pass door lock actuator is not unlocking the door . pulling the lock rod up makes no differance .   any suggestions ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  tnick replied 6 years ago.

Hello, The problem is your door lock actuator is bad. The reason you can not open the door any other way is your door is in double lock. In double lock the door can only be unlocked electrically, there is no mechanical linkage when latch is in double lock. This problem will require a BMW specialist to get the door open, so the lock actuator can be replaced. Good luck

If this information was helpful please hit accept. Thanks, Nick

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to tnick's Post: I am a auto tech by trade but I don't have access to a BMW scan tool or diag computer or tech manual . what would a BMW tech do to open the door ? Can this door panel be removed with the door still closed ? I have the door lock actuator from the dealer .
Expert:  tnick replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am sorry I didn't know you were a mechanic. There are two things I do: one is a keep playing with the remote while tapping on the door. Sometimes I get lucky and the actuator decides to work one more time (this saves alot of work, sometimes it works). The other way is you remove as much of the top door panel or weather stripping as you can, take a long screw driver and break the latch to get the door open (yes it is a real pain). The reason I suggest to car owners to bring it to a BMW specialist is to minimize the damage. There is no easy way to do it. and with the actuator bad you can't open it with the Scan tool anyway. Good luck

tnick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in automotive computer systems. ASE L1 Cerfification