RButcher, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Factory Master Mechanic, 609 A/C Certification

I have an BMW X5, model 2000, 4.4i, 7.8L engine.

I have an BMW X5, model 2000, 4.4i, 7.8L engine. The check brake lining is lighting in my instrument cluster. I disconnected the battery both the positive and negative terminal and change the front brake pads. When I was done changing, I connected the battery and start the car. Incidentally, the DCS, ABS and Brake did not turn off, (it stays on). Can you please tell what should I do inorder for this light in the dashboard/instrument to turn off. I would very much appreciate if you can help me in my problem. Thank you. Renato
Category: BMW
Expert:  RButcher replied 8 years ago.

When you replaced the brake pads did you replace the sensors?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I did not replace the sensors
Expert:  RButcher replied 8 years ago.
I would replace the brake sensors for the brakes that you replaced. Then leave the key on for about a minute and that will turn off the brake lining lite. For the other ABS, DSC and BRAKE lites. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock fully and then drive the car, lites should go out by the time you are out of your driveway. As a heads up I have seen aftermarket brake sensors not turn off the brake lining lite.