Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.

I have a BMW X5 2005 The check brake lining appear on the ...

Customer Question

I have a BMW X5 2005 The check brake lining appear on the display also with the brake light. I went ahead and replace the front pads ,rotors and the left brake sensor. How do i get rid of the brake light and the brake lining on the display.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
HI there, How are the rear pads? Also were the front pads worn enough to gound the sensor?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Both the front & rear pads were replace including both sensors. The rear pads show signs of grounding the sensor but not the fronts
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi There, all I can suggest is to remove all pad sensor wires and confirm their integrity in the circuit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Clayso
I went ahead and removed both front and rear pad sensors to check the circuit. Everything checks out.
I was told to turn on and off ignition 20 times to reset computer. Let me know if it makes sense.

Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.

HI there,

Reset Brake Pad/Lining Wear Warning Indicator Lamp

NOTE: There is no specific reset procedure for the "Brake Lining" Wear Indicator.

The brake pad wear symbol lights up when the brake pad sensor is interrupted.

The indicator remains on until the ignition is switched off.

The indicator is no longer activated after the ignition has been switched on for 30 seconds and the interruption at the brake pad sensor has been corrected.

** Editors Note **

If the "Brake Lining" Wear Warning Indicator remains lit after pad and/or sensor replacement,

Turn ignition ON.

Wait 30 seconds.

Start engine. If the above procedure is not successful,

Test wiring circuit for continuity, power and ground.

Test Instrument Cluster and clear faults.

Reset Brake Pad Indicator Message :

To turn the brake pad warning message ("Check Brake Pads") off, on vehicles with High line cluster (IKE - Instrument Cluster Electronics) after brake pad and/or sensor replacement:

1) Switch on ignition,

2) Wait 30 seconds,

3) Brake pad warning message switches off.

NOTE : If the above procedure is not successful, connect vehicle to DIS tester, access instrument Cluster/IKE, then "clear fault memory".