Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2004 325I: REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP..METALIC..FUEL TANK..SPECIAL TOOL

Customer Question

HI THERE, I LOOKING FOR INFORMATION TO REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP ON MY 2004 325I WITH METALIC FUEL TANK I CAN NOT SEE ANNY WAY TO DO SO IS THERE A SPECIAL TOOL OR???
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

Hello. I would be glad to help you with this. The fuel pump should be on the passenger rear side under the cover under the seat. There is a special tool that you can buy from your dealer to open the cap but if you use a screw driver (flat head) and tap the tabs in the off direction (lefty loosey) it should release and you can unscrew it by hand the rest of the way. And then tighted the same way with a few good taps and make sure it is tight so as not to leak. (the special tool is the correct way and this way is only as info.) I have never damaged a tank this way but I can assume no responibility. Let me know if I can guide you further. Pictures are included below. Thank you in advance for your accept.

Sucking the fuel out of the fuel tank, refer to 16 00 005 Remove rear bench seat.

GRRA1601-84Fold floor trim panel (1) forwards. Cut insulating mat at perforation and fold back, releasing rubber grommet in process.
GRRA1601-85Release hexagon nuts (1) and remove cover (2). Installation: Check seal for cover (2), replace if necessary.
GRRA1601-87Unfasten plug connection (1) and disconnect. Release hose clip (2) and disconnect hose (3).
GRRA3616-027EUnfasten rotary connection with special tool 16 1 020. Installation: Replace rubber seal; in so doing, always insert rubber seal in tank. Tighten down rotary connection to correct torque. Tightening torque, refer to 16 14 2AZ.
GRRA1601-09Installation: When installing the fuel level sensor, ensure the lug (1) locates in the recess (2) on the tank. When tightening to torque, notch (3) on screw cap can be heard and felt to engage in the toothed segment (4) on the tank.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks for the pictures butt the only pictures tthat match with my car are the firts two,there after i do not have some like that,i only have a a round conector and i can not see anything else,it seem like it is sealed unit,i hear some body that did tellme that it comes with the whole tank,what do you think about that?
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

Let me ask you. Do you have a SULEV version of this vehicle. If you do then it is a TANK replacement as you have heard. I hope this is not the case as this is expensive. By your description and if you do not have the access hole as described then you do have the SULEV version. This is a low emmision vehicle and you should have an ozone removing radiator as well. I can post you the instructions for the tank repacement but this is a saddle type tank, which means it sits over the drive shaft and some components. This will probably have to be done by the dealer unless you have access to a lift. Or hopefully you still have a warrenty or CPO. Let me know if I can help further. The sulev vehicle is not overly common.Most likely the tank will have to be special ordered.

-Roger

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
YES IT GOES SIT ON OVER THE DRIVE SHAFT YOU ARE CORRECT,IF YOU HAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW,IS THERE ANNY OTHER WAY TO REPLACE THE PUMP? OTHER THAN THE FUEL TANK?
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

Hello. I would be glad to give you the instructions. Please disregard any mention of specail tools as none should be needed. Unfortunately the fuel pump is self contained in the fuel tank and the only way to replace the pump is to replace the tank. This might be something you would want your dealer to do because it is very involved.I have included the instructions.Some suspension components might also have to be removed.

16 14 010Removing and installing or replacing fuel pump (M56, automatic)
GRRA0000-ACHTUNGCaution! In the event of a fault in the fuel pump, the fuel tank must be replaced. It is not possible to replace the fuel pump!

GRRA0000-INFONecessary preliminary tasks:
Remove complete exhaust system.
GRRA2600-18Remove heat shield (1).
GRRA3626-015URelease threaded ring (1) several turns with special tool 26 1 040. Installation: Tighten threaded ring with special tool 26 1 040. Tightening torque: 26 11 3AZ.
GRRA2600-19Unfasten screws. Tightening torque: 26 11 1AZ. Installation:
- Replace self-locking nuts
- Grip heads of mounting screws of flexible disk on transmission flange and tighten down at nuts.
GRRA2600-20Important! To avoid complaints of humming: Before removing propeller shaft, mark cardan universal joint to drive flange of final drive. Reinstall joint in this position.
GRRA2600-21Unfasten screws. Tightening torque: 26 11 4AZ.
GRRA2600-22Push rear propeller shaft (1) forwards.
GRRA2600-23Grip propeller shaft and release nuts. Tightening torque: 26 11 6AZ. Bend propeller shaft downwards at center bearing (1). Detach propeller shaft from transmission output flange and remove downwards.
GRRA2600-77Installation (except E46 Compact and Z4): Pull off cover tape from butylene tape on both sides. Stick outer butylene tape (1) to center bearing (2).
- Butylene tape: BMW Parts Service
GRRA0000-ACHTUNGImportant! (except E46 Compact and Z4)
- Remove butylene tape already attached to center bearing.
- Clean adhesive area on center bearing and on body
- Then coat adhesive area on body with mineral oil This coating with oil is necessary to facilitate insertion of the sticky butylene tape in the propeller shaft tunnel. This prevents the butylene tape from being deformed.
GRRA2600-80Installation: Press center bearing (2) into transmission tunnel.
GRRA2600-24Installation: Check centering; if necessary, replace damaged centering. Grease centering mount.
- Grease: BMW Service Operating Fluids.

GRRA1601-84Fold floor trim panel (1) forwards. Detach insulating mat at perforation and fold towards rear (pop rubber grommet out of insulating mat).
GRRA1601-85Release nuts (1) and remove cover (2). Installation: Check seal for cover (2) and replace if necessary.
GRRA1603-97Unlock plug connection (1) by turning and disconnect.
GRRA1603-90Caution! Feed line is pressurized (5 bar). If necessary, reduce pressure in feed line. Catch dripping fuel in a suitable container. Detach feed line (1). Installation: Screw connection must be kept absolutely clean! Tightening torque, 16 12 12AZ.
GRRA1603-91Disconnect vent line (1) from fuel tank. Installation: Screw connection must be kept absolutely clean! Tightening torque, 16 12 13AZ.
GRRA1603-96Release fuel filler pipe completely. Tightening torque, 16 12 11AZ.
GRRA1603-93Disconnect refueling vent line (1). Installation: Screw connection must be kept absolutely clean! Tightening torque, 16 12 14AZ.
GRRA1604-10Use suitable lifter with basic carrier special tool 00 2 040. Assemble basic carrier with special tools 16 1 181, 16 1 182 and 16 1 183.
GRRA1604-11Support fuel tank with prepared lifter.
GRRA1601-61Unfasten hex nut (1). Tightening torque, 16 11 1AZ.
GRRA1601-58Unscrew left and right bolts (1). Remove clamping band (2) on left and right. Tightening torque, 16 11 1AZ. Lower fuel tank. Drain fuel tank if necessary.