RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  BMW Factory Training, ASE Master Techinician, Advanced engine performance.
1100518

2003 bmw 325i radio hung up in phone mode. Do not have a ...

2003 bmw 325i radio hung up in phone mode. Do not have a phone hooked up. Radio or CD player will not work. Fix??
Category: BMW
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Hi, do you have the security code for this stereo? Did this happen after any car repairs?

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No repairs. Just went to the phone mode about a week ago. This is a hand me up from the son. He lost the manual for it. Don't know about a scurity code. Will get another manual & ask BMW about a security code. My last BMW had a security code for the radio..
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

This is what we need to do, to get it out of phone mode we need to try and reset the stereo by removing the negative battery cable for 30 seconds...but then it WILL ask you for a CODE, if you don't have it the stereo will be useless. Try calling the local BMW dealer and give them your VIN number, if they feel helpful they'll give you the correct code. Otherwise we'll need to remove the stereo grab the serial number and see if they'll give you the code than.

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try this tomarrow & get back to you.

Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

No problem, let me know if you run into trouble.

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: I found a download on the internet for the radihttp://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals/o: There is no code per the manual & diconnecting the battery did not work. The first time I did it I heard one word on the radio and then a thump. Some switch is probably hung up. Any more suggestions?
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Sounds like the stereo may need to be replaced, they had various other common problems...but not this in particular...see if you can get the stereo to enter "service mode" and see if that tricks it into operating again. Use one of the procedures below.

Rip

Audio System - Radio Service Mode Entering Procedures
Notes
SI B 650704
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors

November 2004
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Procedures to Enter the Radio Service Mode

MODEL
All vehicles produced afier 09/2001

Refer to SI B65 05 99 for information on how to enter the Service Mode on vehicles built prior to 09/2001.

PROCEDURES

E39 (5 Series) without Navigation system
E46 (3 Series) without Navigation system
E53 (X5) without Navigation system
E83 (X3) without Navigation system
E85 (Z4) without Navigation system
C53/CD53 (with or without MID)

1.Turn the radio on.

2.Within 8 seconds, press and hold the "M" button for 8 seconds.

3.Scroll through functions using the + and "-" keys or the "< >" buttons.

4.Turn the radio off to leave the service mode.

E39 (5 Series) with Navigation system
E46 (3 Series) with Navigation system
E53 (X5) with Navigation system
E38 (7 series) with Navigation system
BM53 with small screen Board Monitor

1.Turn the radio on.

2.Press and hold the "RDS" button for at least 8 seconds.

3.Scroll through the functions using the "< >" buttons.

E39 (5 Series) with Navigation system
E46 (3 Series) with Navigation system
E53 (X5) with Navigation system
E38 (7 series) with Navigation system
BM53 with Widescreen Monitor PRIOR to 9/01

1.Turn the radio on.

2.Within 8 seconds, press the "INFO" button.

3.From the Info screen, select RDS (choose PTY on E38).

4.Press and hold the BM control knob (right side knob) for at least 8 seconds.

5.Scroll through functions using the station search buttons "< >".

6.Turn the radio off to leave the service mode.

E39 (5 Series) with Navigation system
E46 (3 Series) with Navigation system
E53 (X5) with Navigation system
BM53 with Widescreen Monitor AFTER 9/01

1.Turn the radio on.

2.Immediately press and hold the "Select" button for at least 8 seconds. The screen will switch to Service Mode.

3.The screen will now show the serial number of the radio.

4.Use the "< >" buttons to select the desired service function.

5.Selections for the desired service function can be made by using the radio station preset buttons # XXXXX

NOTE :When selecting the country AREA, push the station preset # XXXXX repeatedly until AREA USA is shown on the screen.

When selecting the GAL level, use station presets # XXXXX to select level.

To turn off/on the RDS function on this radio, push the "INFO" button and select RDS off/on.

E52 (Z8) with Navigation system
C53 MIR radio

NOTE : After replacing the MIR on an E52, the replacement radio does not require coding. When the radio is first switched on, it automatically enters an initial Service Mode ("No Area" is displayed). Repeatedly press the "1" button until US Area is reached and turn the radio off. The normal Service mode can't be entered until this is performed.

1.To access service mode normally first turn the radio on.

2.Turn the radio off.

3.Turn the radio on.

4.Press and hold the "SEL" key for 8 seconds until the service mode is entered.

5.Use the "< >" buttons to scroll until you see area.

6.Use the preset buttons # XXXXX to change the area.

7.Turn off the radio to end the service mode.

E83 (X3) with Navigation system
E85 (Z4) with Navigation system
CID radio

1.Turn the radio on.

2.Press the "SEL" button immediately and hold for at least 8 seconds.

3.Scroll through functions using the "+" and "-" keys or the station search buttons "< >".

4.Switch off the radio to exit the service mode. E65 (7 series) with Navigation system

MOST bus radio

1.The iDrive controller is used to access the service mode.

2.RDS on/off is accessed via this menu.

3.From the main menu display, press the controller down for minimum 6 seconds.

4.Turn the controller 3 increments clockwise (to the right).

5.Turn the controller 3 increments counter-clockwise (to the left).

6.Turn controller 1 increment clockwise (right).

7.Turn controller 1 increment counter-clockwise (left).

8.Turn controller 1 increment clockwise (right).

9.Push down on the controller.

10.To exit the service mode, select the return arrow at the bottom on the left of the screen.

SERVICE MODE FUNCTIONS

NOTE :Functions vary between models.

Serial Number: Displays the radio serial number.

Software Version: Displays the radio software version (Calendar week/Year/Version). GAL: Speed sensitive volume control.

The speed sensitive volume control can be adjusted from level 1-6 using the 6 preset audio buttons. Radio volume increases more at level 6 and less at level 1 (road speed dependent).

Vehicles equipped with DSP do not use this feature.

Field Strength & Quality (F/Q): The station currently displayed can be assessed for field strength and quality.

An "F" number (i.e. 1-15) is used to indicate the strength of the signal being received by the radio. A high "F" number indicates a strong signal.

A "Q" number (i.e. 1-15) is used to determine the quality of the radio station broadcast including both the audio and RDS signal if applicable.

DSP: Digital Sound Processor

This function provides information about whether or not the vehicle is fitted with DSP. (1=Yes, 0=NO)

TP Volume: Traffic Patrol

Provides adjustment for traffic report minimum value. On some vehicles this setting can affect the NAV volume.

Refer to Service Bulletin B84 02 03.

AF: Alternative frequency tracking setting. Not used in US.

Area: Used to select the appropriate market setting (USA, Canada, Europe, Japan or Oceania).

Index: Displays the revision index.

Terms of Use

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would only toggle between off & phone. I think I need a new stereo too. Any more suggestions?
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

It isn't worth having it repaired, at the dealer they'll remove the stereo and send it out for repair which will not only take time, but it almost always cost the same as a new stereo when they're done...a new stereo (dependant on which model it is) can be around $600. I would get a good used stereo from eBay, or a local BMW salvage yard, they're usually 1/3 of the cost and have nothing wrong with them.

Rip

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: BMW Factory Training, ASE Master Techinician, Advanced engine performance.