Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.

I have a revolver that my guess is its a replica. I cant

Customer Question

I have a revolver that my guess is its a replica. I cant find much info on the pistol other than SM BLACK POWDER ONLY CAL 44 MADE IN ITALY. Trying to identify and value.
JA: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.
Customer: As I said, trying to get info on identifying. Also it has a little rust. I need to know how it is supposed to come apart so it can be cleaned up if possible.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?
Customer: It also has a small PN stamped on it next to a small symbol that my eyes aren't good enough to make out.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

Back in a few minutes, while I check some references.

Does it look like this gun:

Link to photo

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Very similar.

OK- let me look at the photo, back shortly.

July 26, 2016

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from

Manufacturer/Trademark – Pietta (Italian manufacturer of replica firearms)

Model/configuration – Model 1851 Navy revolver, .44 black powder cal., with 7-1/2 inch bbl., and brass/blue/color case hardened finish.

Additional Information – octagon barrel, many styles, 6 shot engraved cylinder, 2 lbs. 12 oz.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $250
98% - $220
95% - $185
90% - $155

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions