ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.

I have a Winchester 1892 trapper. It is a 15" chambered in

Customer Question

I have a Winchester 1892 trapper . It is a 15" chambered in 44-40. Gun is in good condition with original patina. The rifle has been certified by ATF and I have the short barrel exemption letter as gun was grandfather. I am trying to understand the value.
JA: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?
Customer: Serial number is *****
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gunsmith about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  ProShooter replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help. Give me a few minutes to compile the info.

Thank you for your patience....

If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website compensates me for my work on your question.

The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless. This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating.
Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from

Manufacturer - Winchester
Model - Model 1892 Trapper's Carbine

Serial number - 996632
Year - 1929

Estimated Value Range –see below..

For your firearms, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability. Values are in US Dollars..

New in box/perfect --100% condition - $N/A
Mint condition --------98% condition - $N/A
Excellent condition -- 95% condition - $14,250
Very Good+ condition -- 90% condition- $11,750
Very Good condition ------ 80% condition - $8,950
Good+ condition ------------70% condition - $7,400
Good condition --------------60% condition - $6,350
Less than good - $1,250 to $4,225
Most 1892 Trapper's Carbines are in the 15 in., .44-40 WCF cal. configuration. Most of the 1892 Trapper's Carbine were shipped to South America or Australia. This variation is almost never encountered over 30% condition

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Need anything else?

If you don't have any other questions, please remember to complete a positive rating on your screen now with the stars, so that we can close the question out.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions