Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.

I have a mint condition, never fired, in original box one Colt

Customer Question

I have a mint condition, never fired, in original box one Colt Frontier Scout Commemorative pistol, 22 LR cal, New Mexico edition, serial #NMA 731. What is its current value, and how do I go about selling it?
JA: The Firearms Appraiser will get you a firearm appraisal. Tell us what else you do know and the Firearms Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It was given to my father in New Mexico. He was the original owner. I inherited it. What else do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Firearms Appraiser should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Firearms Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you. Getting my Colt resources out - back in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that the 1962 commemorative?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The serial number is ***** me - could it be 731NMA instead of NMA731?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Reading from left to right, it's NMA 731
Ok - my reference may have transposed the digits. No problem. Back in a few minutes with the appraisal and then I'll come back with suggestions on selling the gun.
It's good that you never fired that gun, as doing that with a commemorative will greatly reduce the value. May 6, 2016 Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from Manufacturer/Trademark – Colt Model/configuration – Model 1962 New Mexico Golden Anniversary Scout revolver, .22 LR cal., with 4-3/4 inch bbl., and blue/gold finish. Finish (Assuming original) – 100% per customer description Serial Number – NMA731 mfg. circa 1962. Additional Information – 1,000 made, has varnished walnut grips, gold plated medallions and other items, originally cased in a redwood box with yellow satin/velvet lining. Original issue price back in 1962: $80 Estimated Value Range – Current value should be $650.00 I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via’s question service.For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.comSincerely,PhilipThis Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.
One way to get the best price for that gun is to sell it using an online firearm auction sites. The advantage is that you get people bidding against each other and you can set a minimum price (called a "reserve") that you want for the gun. The bidders don't know what the reserve price is, only if it has been met or not. You will need to take some pictures of the gun so that the bidders can see exactly what they bidding on. The gun's condition and finish are important. You can go to the auction sites and look at listings others have put up to get an idea of how to present your gun. Here are two of the auction sites:http://www.gunbroker.comand This link explains how the auction works at A dealer is the easiest way to sell a gun, but, of course, not the one that will get you the most money. Another option would be to use an actual auction house in your area which specializes in firearms. Finally, you can sell your gun at a local gun show. The gun show promoter can help you with questions about complying with any state and federal laws. Most states allow the private sale of a firearm to another person as long as you have no reason to believe that person is not allowed to own a gun and that person is a resident of your state. But your state could be different, hence talking to the gun show promoter to get the information you need. I hope this helps. Philip
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. Could you get someone to respond to me about my forgotten password?
That would be customer service. I will send a message to one of my contacts once this question is closed (by you rating my answer using the button provided).

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions