Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.

Used value of a gh standard model DM101 .22 mag w/original

Customer Question

used value of a high standard model DM101 .22 mag w/original holster, it's operational with white grips bluing is good but some blemishes in a small area left side of barrel
JA: The Firearms Appraiser will get you a firearm appraisal. Tell us what else you do know and the Firearms Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: seller is asking $250 firm, no other defects, but I did notice the rifling appeared to be quite shallow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Firearms Appraiser should know?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Firearms Appraiser about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

Back with an appraisal shortly.

On the rifling - DM101s have shallow rifling when manufactured, so that does not indicate a high mileage or poorly manufactured gun. Based on your description of the bluing, the $250 is probably a reasonable price.

March 15, 2016

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from

Manufacturer/Trademark – High Standard

Model/configuration – Model DM101 Derringer, .22 WMR cal., with 3-1/2 inch bbl., and blue finish.

Additional Information – double action only O/U, 2 shot, white or black grips, made from 1962 to 1984.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $375
98% - $325
95% - $275
90% - $250
80% - $225
70% - $210
60% - $195

NOTE: Add $25 for hinged maroon case for gun. Add $30 for holster.

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate the answer with the button provided. That will close out the question and also allow me to be paid. Thanks!

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions