Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

I have a and Wesson New Departure serial number 68220. Would

Customer Question

I have a Smith and Wesson New Departure serial number 68220. Would like to know it's caliber and value Thank you
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

January 22, 2016

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Smith & Wesson

Model/configuration – Model .32 Safety Hammerless First Model (aka New Departure), .32 S&W cal., with 2 (rare), 3, 3-1/2, or 6 (rare) inch bbl., and blue (rare) or nickel finish.

Serial Number – 68220 mfg. circa 1900.

Additional Information – double action only, 5 shot fluted cylinder, round barrel, black rubber grips. This model was officially called the New Departure. 91,417 mfg. 1888-1902.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $500
98% - $475
95% - $450
90% - $425
80% - $400
70% - $375
60% - $350
50% - $325
40% - $275
30% - $235
20% - $185
10% - $150

NOTE: Short 2 in. barrel versions known as "Bicycle model" will bring 25% to 50% premium on all Safety Hammerless models. Six inch barrels will bring a premium as well.

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Did you receive my answer on your Smith & Wesson New Departure?

Philip

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions