Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

I have an old single shot 12 gauge shotgun. Stamping on left

Customer Question

I have an old single shot 12 gauge shotgun. Stamping on left side reads "SAVAGE MODEL 220B, SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION, CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS, U.S.A." There is a "2K" stamped inside of a circle at bottom right. Inside the receiver is roughly stamped a large 66 with part of another letter in front of it. Stamping on the left side of the barrel reads "selected forged steel, proof tested 12 gauge,-2 3/4 inch chamber- and two unreadable letters inside of a circle. On the bottom is another circle with SP stamped in it. The bottom of the barrel has the number 7 stamped on it and the letters "M G O". It was rough when I got it in 1975 but it still shoots like a laser. It was my son's first gun and he got his first buck with it. That's all I know about it. What can you tell me about it's history?
THANKS, xxxx x
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

The Savage Model 220 series were made from 1938 until 1965. The gun is a utilitarian model hammerless single-barrel shotgun with a boxlock action, automatic ejector, and an uncheckered walnut pistol-grip stock. It is a takedown model with a full choke.

December 9, 2015

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Savage

Model/configuration – Model 220 single-barrel shotgun, 12 ga., with 28-32 inch bbl., and blue finish.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $125
98% - $100
95% - $85
90% - $75
80% - $65
70% - $50
60% - $40

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr. Van Cleave,
>>As I attempted to respond on 12/11/15, I was not at all satisfied with the reply to my question.
>>At no time did I request any kind of evaluation or appraisal on my old Savage single shot shotgun
>>because I have no intention of ever selling it. As I stated, it was my son's first gun & he got
>>his first buck with it and it still shoots straight as a laser. I asked what you could tell me
>>about the gun's HISTORY, not it's value. It's value cannot be measured in dollars and cents. You
>>see, every year, on opening day of deer season, I take it out to the gun range and fire one round
>>through it in memory of him and the days we used to spend together in the field. Then I take it
>>home and clean it and put it away until next year. I guess you just didn't understand my question.
>>Thank you.

There is precious little about that gun, other than what I provided, unfortunately.

Don't rate the question and you won't be charged.

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions