Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

I have a old colt revolver. Side of the barrel reads

Customer Question

I have a old colt revolver. Side of the barrel reads "colt frontier six shooter .44-40 Top of the barrel reads "colt's pt f.a, mfg.co hartford ct. u.s.a" the side below the barrel reads"pat sept 19 1871 july 2 -72 jan. 19-75 the serial numbers on the gun
all match and read 64352 it has wood grips and the barrel is 4.5 long Any ideas on value?
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

Getting my reference out, back shortly.

I believe that is actually a 4-3/4 inch barrel, but please check carefully. If so, there is a premium to be added to the values given below (see NOTES below).

September 2, 2015

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Colt

Model/configuration – Model Etched Panel .44-40 Single Action Army revolver, .44-40 cal., with 4-3/4 inch bbl., and blue or nickel finish.

Serial Number – 64352 mfg. circa 1881.

Additional Information – the most desirable of all Commercial black powder era Single Action Army revolvers, this variant has the words "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" acid etched in a panel on the left side of the barrel. This marking was the result of a request in January 1878 by J. P. Moore's and Sons, one of Colt's largest distributors in New York. to help them market the new .44-40 Winchester chambered SAA. Colt agreed, and shipped the first "etched panels" to Moore's and Sons in February 1878. The lowest serial numbered known etched panel .44-40 is in the 41,000 serial range (1878) and the highest in the 129,000 range circa 1890.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $--
98% - $65,000
95% - $50,000
90% - $35,000
80% - $25,000
70% - $18,000
60% - $15,000
50% - $12,000
40% - $10,000
30% - $8,000
20% - $7,000
10% - $6,000

NOTES:

* Subtract 50% for nickel finish.
* Add 20% for one-piece wood grips.
* Add 20% for 4-¾ in. barrel.

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions