ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
30945867

I have a winchester 1894 manuf. In 1909. Chambered 32 ws.

Customer Question

I have a winchester 1894 manuf. In 1909. Chambered 32 ws. Takedown model with 26inch pencil barrel and half size button mag. 95% bluing on barrel and mag tube. 40% on the receiver. Flip up rear sight. Crescent butt plate. All original. Never modified or restored. Wood is nice, no cracks or chips. Aged looking finish normal fot the year, but not worn off or anything like that.no rounded screws. Buttob mag is all original. Having a hard time determining its value. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
Thank you for your question. Let me do some research and I will get back to you.
Jim
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience...
If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website pays me for my work on your question. The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless.
This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating.
If you have trouble with the rating system, simply reply back with “excellent service, good service, etc.”
A few days after receiving your answer, the website will send you a brief customer satisfaction survey. Please take a moment to complete that, as those high scores are what allows me to be able to help future customers.
Answer:
Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com
.
.
Manufacturer - Winchester
Model - Model 1894
Serial number - unknown
Year of manufacture - 1909 (according to customer)
Estimated Value Range –see below
.
.
For your firearm, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability. Values are in US Dollars.
.
New in box/perfect --100% condition - $N/A
Mint condition --------98% condition - $4,150
Excellent condition -- 95% condition - $3,675
Very Good+ condition -- 90% condition- $2,950
Very Good condition ------ 80% condition - $2,350
Good+ condition ------------70% condition - $1,850
Good condition --------------60% condition - $1,300
Less than good - $475 to $975
.
Add 25% for takedown variation.
.
.
Now,you said that the barrel/mag tube are 95% and the receiver is 40%. That will give us an average percentage of about 70%. The 70% value is $1,850, and we add 25% more to that for being a take down model. That would put the value at $2,312.50. Rounding off to $2,300 would be a solid value, in my opinion.
Sincerely,
Jim
.
.
This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.
The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.
The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.
All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun
Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have stated that I have already looked it up in the book. Any expert knows how inaccurate the book is when it comes to antique and collectable firearms. Especially one like this. The book doesn't take into account the other options on the rifle. The cheapest takedown button mag I have found is 3900 ranging up to 15000. The rifles like this I have seen were all listed as special order rifles. I assume, but dont know, that these options were only avaiable as special order. Hoping yourself or another expert knows. What I do know is a copy and pasted answer from the book is nnot what I was looking for. I have called colt twice in the past and paid for archival info on old colts.Not sure if you can do this with anN old winchester, but I heard its a different company you use, just not sure who it is.
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying. When the category of Blue Book of Gun Values is requested, we are required to give the values as per the Blue Book. The Blue Book is a compilation of sale prices from around the country to gain an average price for that firearm. Actual sale prices may vary regionally, and some guns listed for sale may be priced at values that may or may not be realistic.
There is a site that we use to get factory records on some Winchesters to see what features the gun was originally equipped with, but they don't give values. I can direct you to that site if you would like.

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions