Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

Looking on a .44-40 WCF Winchester Rifle - third model.

Customer Question

Looking for valuation on a .44-40 WCF Winchester Rifle - third model. Model 1873. Has "King's Improvement" patent March 29, 1866 stamped on barrel. Octagon barrel. Personal initials carved on stock. Serial number series is for 1899.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

Getting my Winchester reference out. Back in a few minutes.

August 22, 2015

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Winchester

Model/configuration – Model 1873 Third Model lever-action Rifle, .44-40 WCF cal., with 24 inch octagon bbl., and blue finish.

Mfg. circa 1899 per customer (non-antique).

Additional Information – dust cover rail integral with frame, serial 90,000-end of production. Iron frame with sideplates, frame loading port, round or octagon barrel, rifles have forearm caps and carbines have forearm bands, tube mag., blue finish with case hardened parts, oil finished stock, serial numbered on lower tang, 720,610 mfg. between 1873-1919.

Value Range (based on percentage of original bright-blue finish on the gun and in working order). Includes premium for .44-40 WCF caliber and octagon barrel:

100% - $--
98% - $--
95% - $9,750
90% - $8,190
80% - $6,875
70% - $5,624
60% - $4,500
50% - $3,900
40% - $3,450
30% - $1,955
20% - $1,650
10% - $880

NOTES: most of the Model 1873s are found with less than 40% of their finish and often much less (10% or even less). Here are general pricing for most commonly found guns based on that minimal surviving bright-blue finish:

* A below average Model 1873 Rifle Third Model is currently valued in the $825-$1,100 range.
* An average Model 1873 Rifle Third Model is currently valued in the $1,100-$1,815 range.
* An above average Model 1873 Rifle Third Model is currently valued in the $1,815-$2,645 range.

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions