Tom
Tom, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47830436

I have a 1800s W & C Scott and Son double barrel gun that was

Customer Question

I have a 1800s W & C Scott and Son double barrel gun that was handed down from generation to generation in my family. Each generation engraved their name and year they took ownership of the gun on the underside of the iron butt cover. The first year says 1890, second says 1932, third says 1975, fourth says 1989, and I will put 2014. It has a wood ram-rod that is neatly tucked into two linear holders under the barrels and it has two triggers. That is about all I know of it. Any more info and value would be much appreciated. It is in excellent shape for a gun from that era.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached some photos.
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at the photos right now (been out all day). Back shortly. Philip
W.C. Scott, located in Birmingham, England, made shotguns from 1834 through 1897. The company continued to exist in one form or another after that as it merged with other companies (such as Webley, creating Webley & Scott) all the way through 1991! The Blue Book has precious little pricing on the older hammer guns, such as the one you have. The pricing is given as a range from $250 to $2,500, depending on how ornate the gun is and its condition. Looking at auctions of guns almost identical to yours, with hammers and very light scroll-engraving, the values run from around $470 to $525. Some of the 8 Gauge guns seem to go for a little more - $1,000 range.The value as a family heirloom (and what an heirloom it is with those dates recorded in the butt cover) exceeds its dollar value, I'm sure. Philip

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions