Tom
Tom, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47830436

Black powder flint long

Customer Question

well i already ask a question was waiting for answer but have not got nothing since 7/4
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - What was the question about? Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a black powder flint long wanted to know if worth anything Gw potwin is on it and i think 05 or 06 is the date last two numbers
OK - that question is still active. So far no expert has picked it up. I checked my resources and couldn't find any references to a G.W. Potwin. Hope one of the other experts can find something on it. Philip
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I am Josie, a moderator for this topic.
Your question is open to all Experts. There is no need to repost or relist it.
Expert:  Dr. Bang replied 1 year ago.
This gun is stamped C.W. Potwin not G.W. Potwin. Charles W. Potwin (Jr.) was a gunsmith in Licking and Muskin County Ohio that made custom guns with very small total production numbers. His dad Carles W. Potwin Sr. was a wealthy banker and merchant. Potwin's rifles were made for everyday use and not finely crafted as others of the day. These were produced from 1802 up until 1809 when production stopped due to poor sales. These are rare but not highly sought after by collectors and in a "good condition" the black powder rifle such as yours would be valued in the $250-$300 range. These are the current fair market values based on standard percent grading rules that are used on all guns.These rules can be found here:http://www.1stclassfirearms.com/Grading.htm The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for. If you haven't already done so, when you get a chance, please provide feedback with the button provided. That will close out the question and allow me to get paid. Thanks! Remember that a positive rating is needed to close out the question.

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions