Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  Master machinist/tool and die maker, gunsmith, firearms appraiser.
9353784

What information do you have on 1842 Springfield musket? values,

Customer Question

What information do you have on 1842 Springfield musket? values, condition. Thanks Jerry
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service.
Manufacturer/Trademark - Springfield
Model/Configuration - U.S. Model 1842 Musket
Serial Number – mfg. circa. 1844-1855
additional info - Total production: 172,000; The U.S. Model 1842 Musket was the first regulation percussion firearm and the last .69 caliber musket to be manufactured in U.S. armories.They were used in the Mexican war and the Civil war. They featured all-iron furniture, finished bright; a flat lock plate with beveled edges; 42" bright barrel fastened to the 55" black walnut stock with 3 barrel bands, the center of which held the upper sling swivel; the lower sling swivel riveted to the forward part of the trigger guard bow. The bayonet lug was located on the underside of the barrel near the muzzle. No rear sight; the forward sight was a brass blade on the upper barrel band.
Many U.S. Model 1842 Muskets were rifled and equipped with long-range rear sights after 1855, and redesignated the U.S. Model 1842 Rifled Musket.
Estimated Value Range - Here are the current values from the Standard Catalog of Civil War Firearms:
Excellent: $2750
Vgood: $1650
Good: $950
I trust that this info will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service. For other firearms related info, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com.
This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of appraisal. the value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal fir retail or wholesale purposes.
The info and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values, my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the U.S., firearms auctions, and through various online sites.
The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into the account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.
All info compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2012 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions