Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  Master machinist/tool and die maker, gunsmith, firearms appraiser.
9353784

I have a 1899 Savage 25-35 cal, octogon barrel. With the original

Customer Question

I have a 1899 Savage 25-35 cal, octogon barrel. With the original box
of shells. Shot less the 20 times. I'am looking at selling it at at a fair price. It is in good condition. What can I expect?
Dick Bachtel(###) ###-####
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Blue Book, Just Answer and Pearl.com!
My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.
1. What is the serial number?
2. How long is the barrel?
3. Is the butt a crescent style (deeply curved) or shotgun style (almost flat)?
Philip
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dick,
Here is some info the current Blue Book values:
Model 1899B Rifle - .303 Savage, .30-30 Win., .25-35 WCF, .32-40 WCF, or .38-55 WCF cal., 26 in. octagon barrel, straight grip stock, crescent or shotgun butt with steel buttplate. Mfg. 1899-1915.
100%: $1500
98%: $1250
95%: $1050
90%: $850
80%: $750
Add 35% for .25-35 WCF.
So in good condition (80-85%) with 35% added on for the caliber, you should be looking at around $1080.
Here is some info to help you grade your rifle:
PHOTO PERCENTAGE GRADING SYSTEM CONVERSION GUIDELINES -
New/Perfect – 100% condition with or without box. 100% on currently manufactured firearms assumes NIB (New In Box) condition and not sold previously at retail.
Mint – typically 98%-99% condition with almost no observable wear. Probably sold previously at retail, and may have been shot occasionally.
Excellent – 95%+ - 98% condition.
Very Good – 80% - 95% condition (all parts/finish should be original).
Good - 60% – 80% condition (all parts/finish should be original).
Fair – 20% - 60% condition (all parts/finish may or may not be original, but must function properly and shoot).
Poor – under 20% condition (shooting not a factor).
NRA MODERN CONDITION DESCRIPTIONS -
New – not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.
Perfect – in new condition in every respect, may have previously been sold at retail.
Excellent – near new condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing near perfect (except at muzzle or sharp edges).
Very Good – in perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.
Good – in safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.
Fair – in safe working condition, but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.
I trust that this info will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service. For other firearms related info, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com.
This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of appraisal. the value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal fir retail or wholesale purposes.
The info and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values, my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the U.S., firearms auctions, and through various online sites.
The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into the account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.
All info compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2012 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions