Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

I have a pre WWII French automatic pistol and would like to

Customer Question

I have a pre WWII French automatic pistol and would like to know how much it is worth and possibly sell it. Where would I find such a collector of this type of guy and where might I find someone in the Mesa, Arizona area that can appraise it?
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Blue Book and Just Answer!My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.I can appraise it for you once I determine what make and model you have. 1. What caliber is it?2. What markings do you see on the gun?3. Can you attach some photos showing both sides of the gun? Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is a .22 auto. Symbol is a lion. There is also a serial number.
Attached are pics of it.
OK - I recognize it. However, it is NOT a .22. Take out one of the cartridges out of the magazine and look at its base. What do you see stamped there? Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 7.65 stamped on the end.
May 4, 2015 Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com Manufacturer/Trademark – Pyrenees (Hendaye, France) Model/configuration – Unique Model 20 semi-automatic pistol, .32 ACP (7.65mm) cal., with blue finish. Mfg. after 1939. Additional Information – 9-shot magazine, modeled after the Browning Model 1922 pistol. Blue Book does not list this model. Here are the values from the 2015 Standard Catalog of Firearms: Excellent - $325Very good - $225Good - $195Fair - $150Poor - $100 I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.comSincerely,PhilipThis Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2012 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.
One way to get the best price for that gun is to sell it using an online firearm auction sites. The advantage is that you get people bidding against each other and you can set a minimum price (called a "reserve") that you want for the gun. The bidders don't know what the reserve price is, only if it has been met or not. You will need to take some pictures of the gun so that the bidders can see exactly what they bidding on. The gun's condition and finish are important.You can go to the auction sites and look at listings others have put up to get an idea of how to present your gun.Here are two of the auction sites:http://www.gunbroker.comandhttp://www.gunsamerica.comThis link explains how the auction works at gunbroker.com:http://www.gunbroker.com/User/ToolsForSellers.aspxA dealer is the easiest way to sell a gun, but, of course, not the one that will get you the most money.Another option would be to use an actual auction house in your area which specializes in firearms. They can also provide a "hands on" appraisal of your gun.Finally, you can sell your gun at a local gun show. The gun show promoter can help you with questions about complying with any state and federal laws. Most states allow the private sale of a firearm to another person as long as you have no reason to believe that person is not allowed to own a gun and that person is a resident of your state. But your state could be different, hence talking to the gun show promoter to get the information you need.I hope this helps.Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time and valuable expertice information.
Based on the pics I've sent you, would you say this gun is in poor or fair condition? I understand collectors see things differently, this the reason for my question. I was told that it is not in good condition because the firing caliber is warn. Also, I was told not to clean the gun. Collectors prefer them in it's current state.
Lastly, when I had previously looked up this gun, it appeared to be Model 17.
Do you have any idea what the different is between the two Models and if Model 17 changes the value in either direction?
I don't think it is a Model 17, as the photo in my reference has different grips and is shaped quite differently. However, the prices are identical between the two.As far as cleaning the gun - you can clean it, just don't damage or try to redo the original finish and that's OK.Not sure who it would look if cleaned, but in the photos it does look to be in "fair" to "poor" condition. Definitely "poor" if it does not work. I'm going to step out for a few hours to run a meeting. So, if you have any further questions it will be a little while before I can respond. Philip

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions