Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

I have a Mauser 3006 sporter that is pre 1913 I believe due to the marks 2.67g GBP / STMG

Customer Question

I have a Mauser 3006 sporter that is pre 1913 I believe due to the marks 2.67g GBP / STMG and wanted to find out more about it. Where it is from, age of gun, who built it, value,etc? eIt is very beautiful and I can't find one exactly the same. Black rubber butteplatte, flat bolt action, beautiful walnut stock. Round barrel no iron sights. Crown with the letter N on the bolt and number 6132 on it and 32 on the rest of the Parts of the action. Would like to send pictures and get ur insight
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Blue Book and Just Answer!My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.Go ahead and attach the photos, including a full-length shot of both sides. Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Will do. I will get the photos together so you can see all the details. Would you also like the length of barrel? And do you include the action in that measurement? Thank you
Yes: I will need the length of the barrel.
Close the action, carefully insert a rod down the barrel, measure the length of that rod to the muzzle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Will do
Ignore this response - I need to be the last one to respond or the Just Answer system thinks I am ignoring you and won't let me answer any other questions ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you think. Lots of numbers and marks hard to say what's what. The proof mark with crown makes me think it is from the 1930s but the other 2.67g gbp makes me think it's pre 1913. And the low serial number is ***** underneath the barrel but a larger number above the barrel confuses too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And here is one more photos
OK - let me examine those photos (nice and clear, BTW).
In looking at that gun, it sure looks to be a Danzig Mauser, with the wedge near the front of the stock (a European item), the Schnabel front end, the flat, and raised check piece. But it could have been a customized rifle from several gunsmiths in Germany after WW I (such as FR Langenhan), since it has no Danzig marking. Mauser Type A factory sporter rifles looked similar, but do not have the wedge toward the front of the stock. Such Mauser sporters can run from around $400 to $1,200 or so. Philip

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions