Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

She is six months old and when i purchased her he trimmed

Customer Question

She is six months old and when i purchased her he trimmed het feathers so she couldnt fly. I think they are two short. She just dive bombs straight down. Yesterday, she was startled while on my hand and tried to fly and hit hard. She seemed ok that night but the next morning she was not herself, very quiet, she usually sings up a storm. That afternoon i noticed blood coming down her side!i rushed her to the vet, but he is a reg vet, but seems to know something about them and the assistant brought her out and said it was a blood tail feather. My question is becase i am new to this did i wait to long, did she bleed to long and they said that they got the rest of the feather but said it looked bruised and to keep an i on it. Help, is she going to be ok, anything special i should do? Thank you i no this is to long, sorry
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Sissie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sissie?
Customer: She just turned 6 months old and very gentle
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Sissie. So this bleeding and the pulling of the blood feather by your vet was how long ago? How is she acting at this time right now?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Still slugish with feathers plumped and picking at it
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. Is there any more bleeding? Is she eating and drinking? Does she seem stressed?