Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have rare English budgie with sore eye. I flushed with my

Customer Question

I have rare English budgie with sore eye. I flushed with my eye drops. Probbly should have not, white of eye is red but no visable damage to retina?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Sherlock is his name but I have had him a short time.Age one year acording to pedigree. I have another one in the same cage, they are very close to each other. One night I heard some angry sound/ I just notice left eye was shut, The ye is now open after the drops put in.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about name?
Customer: Sherlock the English budgie? Violet male 1 1/2 yrs, Purchased at a Budgie club auctiion?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sherlock. A "sore eye" is unclear to me but usually implies a conjunctivitis. Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of this eye to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Trauma and an infectious conjunctivitis are the most common conditions I encounter in per birds and both can be addressed with an over the counter ophthalmic antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin found in many pet/feed stores or online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9675

Dosing is a "dab" of ointment applied directly on top of the globe of the eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days. If an infectious conjunctivitis is associated with a more general respiratory infection, my patient will need a systemic antibiotic which needs to be prescribed by an attending vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.