Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I found 3 baby cardinals on my front porch. 2 were dead and

Customer Question

I found 3 baby cardinals on my front porch. 2 were dead and the other died a few minutes after. They barely had fur and looked too young to fly. Wondering if or why mom bird pushed them out of the next.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Nest
JA: How old is Nest?
Customer: They were wild bird who made a nest in a tree on my front porch
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nest?
Customer: Oh no sorry. They were wild birds . Not pets . They made a nest on my porch . Didn't realize I was texting with a veterinarian..
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this outcome. It is tough in nature. If the actual nest itself wasn't physically disturbed, it tipped or shifted, then the blame goes toward a bird. I've seen nests shift due to being built in areas where they can't be secured well. Could wind have shifted it and tipped them out? As far as birds doing this, could mom have been in the next and been shifting around and bumped them out? Could the nest just not have high enough sides to keep them from being accidentally pushed out or on their own falling out? Could another male have come in and pushed them out? I would be curious to see if the nest is used again by the same female here.