Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My rooster is acting strange, almost like he has vertigo. I

Customer Question

My rooster is acting strange, almost like he has vertigo. I have a camera in the coop, and he flies to the rooster
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your bird?
Customer: Crap, to the roost, and sits a bit then tries to walk and falls off the roost. He has done this at least a dozen times or more this evening. He was fine yesterday. He acts like is balance is affected.
JA: Where does your bird seem to hurt?
Customer: I haven't held him, he just started this evening when he went to roost.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Not other than falling off the roost.
JA: Is your bird eating normally?
Customer: He had been. I wasn't home this afternoon or early evening, so I didn't notice anything till this evening. He seemed to act fine this morning, when left out of the coop.
JA: Is your bird having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Didn't notice.
JA: How is your bird behaving differently?
Customer: Just kinda swaying on the roost, and then falling off. Made me think "vertigo".
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: He's about 2 years old. I really don't have a name, was afraid to name him, for fear of losing him. lol
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about,?
Customer: Not that I can know bof. I was just dumb founded, to see him act this way. He was mounting hens earlier this evening.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any chance of a head trauma?

Any head tilt or circling?

Have you found any changes. discomfort, or reduced grip when examining his legs/feet?

Any discharge at the ears, flickering of the eyes, or changes in breathing?

Are his gums/oral mucosa pink, yellow tinted or white/pale?

Any access to dangerous plants, chemicals, meds, etc?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have been watching him today, he is shaking his head a lot. When he fluffs up and shakes, he loses his balance. He is eating, scratching the ground, drinking, haven't seen him poop or pee. So not sure about that. He does stagger some what when walking. I can't see anything wrong, he has been crowing this morning. Do they ever get ear infection?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do have Enrofloxacin from a previous rooster that I am assuming had bumble foot. The vet that saw that rooster, doesn't normally see chickens. Would it help to give him a does of that?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Hello again,

Now I agree that these signs are more vertigo like then orthopaedic; though in regards ***** ***** we'd be most concerned about an inner ear infection (as external ones can cause the head shaking but usually doesn't affect the balance this much, but we do need to tread with care since we can similar signs with brain lesions (bleeds,swellings, infections, etc). Furthermore, we can see this if they have had access to toxins but we'd hope that is less likely for your lad.

Now in this case, a course of antibiotics would be reasonable here. Enrofloxacin can be used since he obviously isn't a laying bird, but I'd only suggest using it if you have enough to give a week long course. If you only have enough for a dose, its not likely to do much but could cause antibiotic resistance of the bacteria present. Otherwise, we could also use an anti-inflammatory. Now ideally we'd want that local vet to dispense Metacam or Carprofen for him; but as long as you don't suspect head trauma we could try OTC buffered aspirin (25 mg per pound of his body weight once daily) as well to reduce inflammation at these suspect sites. And we'd hope to see him improve with those both, but if his signs linger then we may need the local vet to check him (neurological signs like this are caused by similar issues in birds as other species) and help us narrow these signs further.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have enough to give a full dosage of 1 x a day for 18 days. The bottle says 22-7mg, and are cut in half. I have 18 half pills.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Grand, in that case you can use it for 7 days at a dose of 15 mg per kilogram of his weight once daily (or if he is a similar size to the other lad you can use it as directed on the label).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )