Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My friends bird is rubbing his feathers off around his beak

Customer Question

My friends bird is rubbing his feathers off around his beak and rubbing his head and scratching his head and under his feathers the skin looks chapped
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: JG is his name and he is 10 years old he is a hahns mini mccaw
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about JG?
Customer: She recently changed cages with him he is now in a smaller cage and she got a new pet hut for him to sleep in plus a new mite thing to hang on his cage
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you upload a photo(s) of JG of to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Has he been feather picking/plucking as well? What has his diet consisted of?

Please have your friend remove the mite thing as it's not only worthless but dangerous to JG.