Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My 12 year old Blue and Gold Macaw has a growth in the

Customer Question

My 12 year old Blue and Gold Macaw has a white growth in the outside corner of his left eye. It is white and looks like an eyelid.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Raicho
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Raicho?
Customer: no - never had any health issues - he is blinking that eye quite a bit it is a flat growth not cystic
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Raicho's face to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am not at home. He is. I can put a picture without the problem.

I understand. You can return to our conversation at your convenience. Bookmark this page for ease of return. (I don't understand "I can put a picture without the problem.")

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The problem is in where a tear duct is in a human's eye and that is what it looks like is a tear duct.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I can get a picture tonight and send it to you, if that is better. There is not a bird vet close to me.

He's gorgeous but I need to wait until tonight to see this. I understand your logistical constraints. I'm in the Pacific time zone.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK - thanks that is what I was worried about was time Zone. I leave here at 5 EST. So that would be 2 your time correct?

Correct.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That way I can talk to you on the telephone if necessary, because my cell telephone is at home with the bird.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your time.
I will contact you once I arrive home and can get the picture. The eye is not red or inflamed.

You're quite welcome.