Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a bantam hen whose been lethargic for a few weeks,

Customer Question

I have a bantam hen whose been lethargic for a few weeks, and suddenly today one of her eyes is completely clouded over
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: She's about 8 months old and her name is ginger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about ginger?
Customer: She is eating. Moving slowly and stops and rests a lot
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ginger. I'm concerned that the clouding you're seeing indicates uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments). Uveitis in conjunction with the lethargy you've seen suggests a systemic infection and the most likely at her age is Marek's disease (herpesvirus). Please take a look at this site and let me know if you're seeing any other symptoms of Marek's: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/#!mareks-disease/c1qzk

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?