Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have had a male canary for approx 10 months. Over Xmas the

Customer Question

I have had a male canary for approx 10 months. Over Xmas the "male" canary laid 4 eggs over a period of 4 days. I have a fabric hutch in this cage, which is where the eggs were laid. It has been over a week since the last egg was laid, but the canary virtually "lives" in the hutch. Aside from coming out to feed, within 5 minutes she is back in the hutch. Should I remove the hutch? Note: all eggs broke at the time they were laid.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the canary. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the canary?
Customer: No. As far as I'm aware the canary is healthy. It is fed canary seed, a treat stick and broccoli. She was very active up until laying the eggs.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The proper manner in which to deal with her at this time is to replace her broken eggs with artificial ones or marbles and allow her to continue brooding for up to 3 weeks at which time her hormonal cycle should change from that encouraging egg laying to a quiescent period. If you remove the eggs altogether, you're likely to stimulate more egg production. If she hasn't "normalized" within the 3 week period, removing the "eggs" and hutch and any nest building materials will make her environment poorly conducive to laying and facilitate her hormonal cycle to cease. Most important, her diet hasn't been balanced and she's likely to be (at least) vitamin D3, calcium, and protein deficient at this time. She may have been calcium deficient prior to laying as evidenced by all of the eggs breaking due to thin and weak egg shells.

Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. (The treat stick just contains more seeds. The broccoli is a good idea but much more can and should be fed.) A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat. For now, please add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. I will see to this immediately.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?