Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Grey was mauled yesterday by my 2 dogs, when i saw, was

Customer Question

amp;grey cocky was mauled yesterday by my 2 dogs, when i saw
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: was mauled by my 2 dogs and it lost feathers from the back and front but the wings are ok, i put it in dark box , kept it warm and talked to it. this morning i found out it can stand on the perch for a while but then it loses balance, i put antiseptic powder on the bleeding festhers and it is not bleeding anymor and it had drank water twice but not wanting to eat, local wildlife dont want to help as it is a domestic bird
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: we put him back in his cage with a lump of wood, seeds and water in shalow dishes so it can see it, when bird in my hands, it wants its neck scratched, what to do next as i had a sleepless night expecting the worst
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: it is not fleas powder but rather human wounds anti septic, i used it on my wounded knee and it helped, bird is called cocky boy and it is perhaps 2-3 years old and very tame and can speak his name and dance ( when well)
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Are his "gums" (inner oral mucosa) pink or pale/white?

Does it seem to struggle with using and gripping with either foot?

Or does he seem weak and wobbly on the perch?