Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My budgie was attacked by a cat yesterday. He is breathing

Customer Question

My budgie was attacked by a cat yesterday. He is breathing fast. He stretches his wings out to try and fly but can't
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Bertie. He's 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bertie?
Customer: He was bleeding initially from his tongue but that stopped shortly after the attack
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor lad!

Now we have to tread with care. He will be in shock from this attack and if he is very agitated, we need to see if we can get him settled. o support shocked birds, we want to move him to a secure location (where the "predator" cannot reach them) that is warm (86-90 degrees F), secluded, dimly lit. Ideally, he could be placed in a single level cage that has easy access to food/water and you can line the floor with soft substrate (ie wash cloth, towel, etc). A heating pad can be placed beneath half the cage if need be. Alternatively, you can make a safe warmer for the bird from a clean sock filled 2/3rd full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before adding it to the cage, to allow the heat to distribute. Make sure its not too hot (as we don’t want to burn the bird. If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Whichever technique you use, do monitor the temperature closely, since we don’t want to overheat him (and we cannot be confident he would move himself if he grew too warm).

With time they will settle and that is the point where you can be giving direct supportive care, monitoring/aiding his eating/drinking, and examining him for any hint of wounds. And hopefully by this point in time, he will have calmed enough to be more likely himself and for you to do this. Of course, if he doesn't slow that breathing rate (which would make issues like bleeds into the lungs a worry), then we may need to risk the stress of travel to get him to his vet for oxygen. And if we do that then or once he calms, we'd want them to fully examine him to make sure there is no damage that needs urgent care. At the same time, they can put Bertie onto bird safe pain relief to help stabilize him.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.