Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have a parrotlet, he has seen a vet and is on baytril at

Customer Question

hello. I have a parrotlet, he has seen a vet and is on baytril at the moment, for about a week. The baytril is prescribed for 14 days. I am wondering, since he has watery stools and is drinking a lot of water, how long it would take to before I see improvement in his droppings if the baytril is helping him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Romeo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Romeo?
Customer: I brought him in to the vet because he was low energy at the bottom of his cage. He is currently in a hospital cage to support his body temperature and promote healing, and his energy levels have returned to almost normal
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with your about Romeo.

If he has watery stools and increased thirst but isn't responding at all to the antibiotics a week on; I do feel that you will need to have him reassessed. Especially if it is increased fluids in his stool, as that suggests possible kidney issues instead of true diarrhea. So, we'd want his specific gravity of his urinary output +/- bloods to check his kidney function. Or if you are seeing loose stool, then we'd want a fecal test to determine if this is being caused by a bacteria, if its sensitive to the antibiotic being use, or if we have another issue (ie viral, parasitic, protozoal) that we need to address for him. Based on that, we can ensure we are focusing treatment effectively and also determine if supportive measures (ie probiotics, Kaolin, increased dietary fiber) would be beneficial in firming his stools.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.