Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My chicken is about 5 years old and all of a sudden

Customer Question

Hi, my chicken is about 5 years old and all of a sudden yesterday she started hanging around the coop when I let them out. tonight she can't really stand, almost like she is paralyzed on one side but when I pick her up she can stand briefly and both legs move. there is no injury and all other chickens (7) are on the roost her comb is very purple but otherwise she is alert
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes, no injury on any area of her
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bird's name?
Customer: pearl
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about pearl?
Customer: well, we live in a suburb, my flock stays in the coop most of the day but I let them out for about 1-2 hours in the late afternoon. I had one other chicken that exhibited the same symptoms about 2 months ago, but she died within 2 days
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Would you say she is just weak when you stand her up?

Any access to toxins, chemicals, salt, harmful plants, etc?

Cans he eating and drink if you handfeed her?

Any wheezing, gasping or eye/nasal discharge?

Are her "gums" (oral tissues) pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I'm sorry I logged off before I received your response. It has now been 4 days and I kept her inside and she is doing somewhat better. I will request a refund on my question only because I didn't understand how the process worked. Thanks-Liz