Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My parakeet has dark (what looks like) poop hanging from

Customer Question

My parakeet has dark (what looks like) poop hanging from between his legs. Is this something I should be concerned about and if so, what do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, didn't think of that. He's sleeping now but I'll check in the morning. How will I know? He's not a bird that is regularly picked up...
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: No, I was just thinking it was diarrhea and could be wiped out with a bath...
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 20 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Can you pick up the parakeet and use a moistened q tip to gently tease away the stool from the cloaca? If you can post a picture that would be very helpful.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He is sleeping now, but I will try that in the morning. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I would not be concerned if it is only dried stool, but birds can develop a prolapsed cloaca. This means that tissue is extending out of the cloaca and it can be covered in stool. If there is tissue prolapsed, then it is very important to have him evaluated by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Tissue that is prolapsed can become necrotic. Are you sure about his sex? Was he tested?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No, not sure about his sex, he has a blue nose so thought that was the clue.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I'll try the cleaning tomorrow morning and if I see any prolapsed tissue I'll take him in to the doctor. Thanks and good night.

a blue cere (nose) does not always mean male. If he is resting comfortably now, then please try to post a picture once he wakes up. You can also take a warm wet washcloth and moisten the area that is around his cloaca to see if there is any prolapsed tissue. This question will remain open for several days, so please post when you are able to evaluate him.