Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

It's more a friend's bird, egg bound hen, friend has zero

Customer Question

Hi! It's more a friend's bird, egg bound hen, friend has zero access to a vet. Hen is in much distress.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your friend's bird?
Customer: She is egg bound
JA: Where does your friend's bird seem to hurt?
Customer: She has a firm mass by the vent, friend can see egg there she thinks
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: bird apparently doesn't have a name, she thinks she is 4 or 5. She just adopted her from a nursing home who couldn't keep her
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about,?
Customer: she was fine a week ago. lump there for 2 days, bleeding at the vent where the lump is
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and I will try to assist you. Please start by crushing up some Rolaids and see if you can get her to eat them. If she does not take them willingly, you can put in a little fruit baby food. This is important because the calcium will help start the contractions to help get the egg passed.

If this does not work the next step is soak her lower half in warm water. It is easiest to bring the bird inside the house and fill up your kitchen sink with warm water. Place her into the warm water and soak her bottom. After the soak dry her and allow her to relax with some food and water hopefull she will pass the egg. If this does not work, then she will have to see an ER Vet.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

How is the hen? Did she pass the egg? Please update me.

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She did not. Friend tried soaking in warm water. Trying to get her to eat calcium but she's having a hard time. Vet is hours away and absolutely no way to get there, unfortunately.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

You will need to open the chicken's beak and get the calcium in, this is very important to help her You can also take some Personal lubricant on a gloved hand and try and work around the egg to help ease it out, but this is a last resort. The calcium will start the contractions and that is what we need right now.Try another warm soak as well.

Joan