Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I found a budgie in my driveway appeared to have some head

Customer Question

I found a budgie in my driveway appeared to have some head trauma but no blood I have it in a box with the lid off and have given it food and water it seems to be sleeping at the moment and doesn't seem to be to distressed is there anything else I can do to make it more comfortable
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: I don't know as it has been attacked in my driveway by wild birds must have escaped from somewhere
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: it has head trauma on the top of its head feathers missing but no blood
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for rescuing this budgie. You're necessarily constrained to confining it in a quiet, unlikely to be disturbed, and dimly lit area heated to 29.4C by means of a heating pad set on its lowest setting and placed around its enclosure. We don't treat head trauma in birds with drugs although we might prescribe a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam if significant trauma is evident upon exam. Food and water should be readily available and should consist of more than seed. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

If you're going to keep this budgie it would be prudent to have an avian vet give it a thorough physical exam particularly if you have other birds at home. If that's the case, it's best to quarantine this bird away from your others for a month to see if any symptoms of infectious disease arise. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?