Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

Pekin duck - raccoon attack last night - two neck puncture

Customer Question

Pekin duck - raccoon attack last night - two neck puncture wounds - antibiotics right away? which ones and how to give - also heard of Oregano?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the bird bleeding a lot?
Customer: Stopped the bleeding pretty quickly last night cleaned wound areas with water - comforted him and he calmed, slept inside and drank a little water. Seems better today but worried about infection. Someone suggested salt water bath. Any antibiotics?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: No very healthy otherwise - almost 3 yrs old - in basically a residential area back yard which is on the water in FL . Not too concerned about Rabies.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, you will want to start antibiotics right away since raccoons do have quite a diverse bacterial load in their saliva and infection post-bite is common. In regards ***** ***** we'd want to either use Lincomycin, Tetracycline or Cephalexin as an in-feed or oral antibiotic either from your local feed store or vet. Otherwise, do make sure to flush these wounds 2-3 times daily with OTC chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) to flush bacteria from the wound and an antibiotic spray (ie Blue Kote) could also be used afterwards. Finally, we tend to avoid oregano oil for birds, as the essential oils can be quite potent and irritate the upper airway.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.