Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He isn't eating and has mucous clear and coming out of his

Customer Question

He isn't eating and has mucous clear and green coming out of his nose
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** is about 15 yrs old he is a blue front amazon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chacho?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chacho. It's important to note that once an Amazon acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within their flock. Chaco's anorexia and nasal discharge suggest respiratory infection but we need to clarify if the infection is due to bacteria, viruses, fungi +/- vitamin A deficiency.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Chacho's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be quite helpful as well.

Until he can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Chaco's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
do you think he will be OK for today or do I need to get him in to a Vet or can this wait until tomorrow?We also have a Macaw is Chacho contagious ?

These birds are prone to sudden deaths and so if you could find an avian vet today it would be best. Finding such a vet can be problematic in the best of circumstances, however, and so keeping him warm as I mentioned will hopefully suffice for the next 24 hours. Yes, I would expect him to be contagious to your macaw.

(I marked your other post as a duplicate so you wouldn't be charged twice.) Please continue our conversation if you wish.