Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

The tip of his beak just became red - he is budgie. The tip

Customer Question

Hello! The tip of his beak just became red - he is budgie.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: Hello! The tip of his beak just became red - he is budgie.
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: He does not seem to hurt...
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Little One, 9 months.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Little?
Customer: He has been plucking his feathers.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. You appear to be describing bleeding within his beak. This can occur secondary to trauma or vitamin K deficiency. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has his diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

For now, please add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores.

Please respond with the additional information sn further questions or concerns if you wish.