Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

Our budgie has diarrhoea and we are not sure what to do.

Customer Question

Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Oh dear,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we need to tread with care when our birds have diarrhea. This is because they have little in the way of body resources and this can take a toll quite quickly if not addressed effectively.

Now just as in people, we can see stool changes for a range of reasons. So, if we have diarrhea, we do need to consider bacterial, viral, parasitic (including protozoa), nutritional and toxic exposure. As well, while I hope those last 2 are less likely here, we also have to be wary of diarrhea secondary to an underlying issue (ie systemic based, infectious, organ based, etc). Therefore, we do need to tread with great care here. Especially since our birds tend to hide that they are unwell until it is quite advanced.

With this all in mind, to start, we’d want to initiate supportive care. To do so, we’d want to begin by starting a probiotic/immune support treatment like Avipro Plus. This will provide general support to the compromised good gut bacterial microflora. Further to this, we’d want to increase his dietary fiber (offering fiber rich veggies, brown rice, cous cous, pumpkin) to bulk up stools. In the same vein and as long as we’ve seen no blood in the stools, we can also give a small dose of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (0.25 ml every 8-12 hours) to just slow the diarrhea further.

If while monitoring you find that he isn't eating well, we'd want to consider tempting him with favourite foods +/- supplementing with a calorie/nutrient rich treatment like Nutrical. Or you can even purchase OTC handfeeding pastes (ie Zupreem) to use if need be.

Finally, if this lingers, then we’d want to consider having him checked by his local vet at this stage. Or at the very least, we’d want to submit a stool sample for testing. This can be checked for our suspect infectious agents (bacteria, viruses, parasites, and protozoa). If he sees his vet in person, he can also be examined +/- bloods taken to rule systemic ones. Depending on those findings and their examination, they can start treatment to clear this diarrhea and get your lad settled.

Overall, diarrhea in birds can quickly lead to dehydration, nutrition loss, and make them feel unwell. So, even if he is acting like all is well, we need to be proactive here. So, we’d want to initiate the above supportive care, monitor, and plan to have him checked if this doesn’t settle in the next 12-24 hours with our care.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )