Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I noticed a flea on my cocketiel to day. I have never seen a

Customer Question

I noticed a flea on my cocketiel to day. I have never seen a flea that looked like this.it was very small. It moved very fast. It was brownish red with a oblong body. When i placed it between my finger nails and pressed it made a snaping sound as though it had a hard shell. My dog and cat have it also. It is not a dog or cat flea I have had them in the past.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. It sounds like a mite on your bird. You will need to take Petie to a veterinarian to get an accurate weight and treatment prescribed. There is really no homeopathic remedy for this. Unusual that the dog and cat are also affected. Makes it unlikely to be lice, because they are typically species specific. When you smashed the bug, was their any blood? Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take care