Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Female kakariki has a lump around herr bottom its dark in

Customer Question

female kakariki has a lump around herr bottom its dark in colour and she looks sick and is not breathing normal Could be egg bound?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: she is approx 18 months old & is eating very little. She has a male companion
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 28 days ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I would need to see this lump to be more accurate for you but your description of it and her behavior does suggest egg binding. If so, she needs the attention of an avian vet at your earliest convenience because egg binding is life-threatening. You can settle her in warm water to see if that relaxes her enough to pass a bound egg but there's isn't anything else caretakers can do at home for these birds.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.