Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My miniature schnauzer was spayed about 3 months ago. She's

Customer Question

Hi, my miniature schnauzer was spayed about 3 months ago. She's very healthy and active and has never had any sort of health issues. After her spay she wore her cone and didn't lick or chew at her stitches and they healed up nicely. But just now I looked at her belly and there was a fairly large (about the size of a dime) yellowish scab. There was hair on it so I trimmed the hair around on her belly. She then chewed off the scab and there was lots of dry skin around it (I'm assuming it was just itchy). Now it's protruding slightly and it's a bit red. There's a tiny hole in the middle where some clear discharge is coming out. Should I take her to the vet? Does she need antibiotics for it or is this a normal part of the healing process? It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all but I just thought I'd ask about it since it's been about 3 months since the surgery.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. Is this skin problem right at the site where the spay incision was ?