Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Well african grey with foot caught in door now limping--

Customer Question

hello, well african grey with foot caught in door now limping-- happened this morning at first he did not put any weight on the leg, this evening a little more...foot does not look damaged and he open and closes talons and leg has full range of motion. i do not see any deformity. he is in good spirits, relatiely normal disposition but he is uncomfortable putting weight on leg. I am going to vet tomorrow but just stressful for me :)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no actual wound on foot that i can see
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Insight , age 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Insight?
Customer: very healthy otherwise, fully flighted
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Insight's accident. That is good that he's been progressively through the day wanting to use that foot more and more. The fact that you're not seeing any wounds, he's opening the digits well and having a full range of motion - all this would have me pretty optimistic that his injury to that foot is more soft tissue. This could be a situation where time and rest is going to be the tincture that is needed. My concern gets red flagged when they aren't starting to use it more as time passes or there is an obvious deformity / wound present. I know it is hard to see this guy like this, but I would be again pretty optimistic here.