Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.

Is giving your parakeet a drop of liver oil beneficia

Is giving your parakeet a drop of cod liver oil beneficia

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, cod liver oil can be given on rare occasion to boost Vitamin A levels in birds on poor diets.Though from the sounds of your lad's situation this isn't going to be of much benefit to him. If he is lethargic and is now passing green stool there is concern of liver issues but also gut infection (ie bacteria, viruses, protozoa). Therefore,instead of giving this you would be better using a proper bird vitamin with probiotics (ie Avipro Plus, etc) or without (ie Lafeber's Avi-Era Powdered Bird Vitamin).

Otherwise, since the lethargy tells us that Pretty boy is suffering with an ongoing issue that is already advanced (since they do tend to pretend all is well for as long as their are able), it would be ideal to have him checked +/- a fecal sample tested at this stage. That way we can pinpoint the cause of his signs and effective treatment can be started before he can dehydrate or become weak with this.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (, Avian web( or Birdsnway(

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Marge,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pretty Boy. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Hi, Thank you for the follow-up. I did find a Avian Vet in my area and took Pretty Boy in for an exam. It appears that he may have pneumonia, but it is difficult to know for sure. He was on one antibiotic for a week, and although he is moving around a bit more, he is not singing, and very quiet still, so they changed the antibiotic and gave him some vitamin additives to his food as well. I have hopes that he will recover, but he is 11 or 12 yrs. old, so it's stressful right now.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update.

I am glad to hear that he has been seen and hopefully that second antibiotic will get him feeling better. And while we'd want to see him getting stronger and keen to sing again, its positive that he is moving a bit more for us.

Keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Dr. B. responded very quickly to my questions, and gave me great advice to seek an Avian Vet for my ill pet. Thank you Dr. B. you may have saved his life!
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
One additional question. The medication I am giving my bird is with an eye dropper, and it is causing the feathers around his mouth to be wet, stained and sticky. This causes some issue with his eating as he is getting seeds and the sheaths from the seed stuck all around his mouth. Currently I am using a wet Q-tip and a cotton ball to try to clean the feather, but not having much success. Any ideas?

Hi again,

That can be tricky to deal with. You can try encouraging him to take a drink (offer water flavored with a bit of fruit juice) after his medication to help rinse it away. Or you could even dilute his medication with a bit of fruit juice or water to just reduce its stickiness, but that would only be an option if he is taking his medication without much argument (since some feisty wee birds aren't ideal to have to give a bit more once its diluted)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.